Starting a new day with a cup of hot steaming coffee is a pleasure that millions of people enjoy every day. Drinking coffee is a habit so ingrained in people that they don’t think twice before consuming it at any time of the day. The truth is that coffee is much more than just a refreshing drink. Coffee is a drink that has many health benefits which are essential and necessary for your body.
Research has shown that drinking moderate amounts of coffee every day brings you many advantages. Some of the health benefits of drinking coffee are –
- Improves Energy Levels & Makes You Smarter – Drinking coffee makes you feel less tired and increases your energy levels. The reason this happens is that coffee contains a stimulant named “caffeine” which gets absorbed in your bloodstream and travels to your brain. There it blocks the inhibitory neurotransmitter called adenosine leading to an increase in other neurotransmitters like dopamine and norepinephrine. These two lead to an increase in brain functions like mood, memory, reaction times, and vigilance.
- Helps You Burn Fat – The caffeine boosts your metabolic state by 3-11% leading to the burning of fat in your body. It specifically increases the fat burning by 10% in obese people and up to 29% in lean people.
- Contains Essential Nutrients – It contains essential nutrients like riboflavin [vitamin B2], pantothenic acid [vitamin B5], niacin [vitamin B3], potassium, manganese, and magnesium that your body needs.
- Lowers Risk of Type 2 Diabetes – In this condition, you have high blood sugar levels caused by a reduced ability to secrete insulin. Studies have shown that drinking coffee regularly gives you a 23-50% lower risk of contracting this disease. Each cup of coffee you drink reduces this risk by around 7%. Isn’t that wonderful?
- Protects You from Alzheimer’s Disease – It is the most common neurodegenerative disease in the world and leads to dementia in people over the age of 65 years. Studies show that drinking coffee gives you a 65% lower risk of getting Alzheimer’s disease.
- Lowers Risk of Parkinson’s – It is the second most common neurodegenerative disease in the world and afflicts millions of people every year. Drinking coffee regularly lowers the chances of you getting this disease by as much as 32-60%.
- Fights Depression – Studies show that people who drink 4 or more cups of coffee every day are 53% less likely to commit suicide. Women who do the same have a 20% lower risk of becoming depressed. This is great news as depression is fast becoming an urban epidemic all over the world.
- Lowers Risk of Certain Cancers – Coffee protects you against two types of cancer: colorectal and liver cancer. Coffee drinking reduces the chances of colorectal cancer by 15% and liver cancer by 40%.
Your Friendly Drink
So your daily coffee keeps fighting for your good health every day even as you are busy with your work and responsibilities. There are different types of coffees so you can choose the one you like. The next time you sip coffee from your mug, please remember that it is your friend for life!